Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Polyphasic Sleep, two and a half weeks later

Been a bit lax in posting on progress, but still sleeping polyphasically.

Two weeks ago, I had two days of "alarm malfunction."  Not sure how, and it is certainly possible I groggily killed it instead of hitting snooze, although my wife doesn't remember it going off, either.  Then again, she rarely remembers anything that happens before about 1030am, so that is not conclusive.  Other than those two days, where I woke up between 6 and 7 am instead of my usual goal of 4am, I did quite well at sleeping from 1-4, with naps.  Even on the days I overslept, I was getting 5-6 hours of sleep, having gone to bed around 1am.  Not exactly crashing, merely oversleeping.  Both days I woke up on my own more than an hour before my wife woke up, and she tends to go to bed closer to midnight.

The next week, last week, I again had a couple of off days.  This time it was intentional, I was sick and did not want to get up.  Sick enough that one of the days I stayed home from work.  I think this is acceptable.

Today is Tuesday, and I have been up on schedule for the past three days.  Yesterday was a little rough, someone was having a meeting in the normally empty room I use for my naps, which is also where my pillow is stashed.

As for what to do with the time, I am finding it useful on two fronts.  Some mornings, like yesterday, I exercise.  Yesterday I ran 5.2 miles before 6am had rolled around, ate a leisurely breakfast with a book and was still at work before 0730.  Today my knee was hurting, so I canceled morning PT and watched last night's Daily Show and Colbert Report while getting ready for work.  In to work a little after 6, which means going home earlier, too.  Always nice to have time in the afternoon to get things done at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment